Sorry, bro is an ample apology to provide when your good friend realizes you’ve eaten the final fry. It’s additionally the very last thing you’d need to say after backing right into a furious stranger’s automobile.
In relation to making an apology, context is every part. And similar to submitting your taxes, you’ll need to get it proper the primary time.
In Spanish, there are a plethora of how to apologize. Rosetta Stone Spanish may also help you grasp all of them in context—our immersive classes make getting ready for even the toughest of apologies really feel enjoyable and pure.
However when you’re searching for a preview, this important information to saying sorry in Spanish is the right place to begin. From an off-the-cuff sorry to a extra heartfelt assertion, right here’s every part you want to make and settle for an apology.
>>Get the complete checklist of need-to-know Spanish phrases and phrases right here!
The 2 commonest methods to apologize in Spanish
Typically you want an apology that’s fast and straightforward. These are the apologies you’ll be able to lean on in most conditions, from unintentionally elbowing a good friend to expressing concern for a cherished one. Usually, you’ll discover that you should use them interchangeably with “excuse me.”
- lo siento
Which means: Sorry
Context: Lo siento is way and away the commonest method to apologize in Spanish. It interprets actually to I really feel it (which is kind of lovely if you concentrate on it). It’s most frequently used to precise sorrow for another person. Although it’s typically reserved for casual use between family and friends, it’s simply dressed as much as match each informal and critical conditions.
- Lo siento, perdí el suéter que me presté. = Sorry, I misplaced the sweater you lent me.
- Hey, lo siento me tomó tanto tiempo para volver. = Hey, sorry it took me so lengthy to get again.
- Lo siento, realmente espero que te sientas mejor pronto. = Sorry, I actually hope you’re feeling higher quickly.
Which means: Sorry; excuse me; pardon me
Context: Like lo siento, perdón is a flexible apology. You should utilize it to apologize in conditions the place you might be at fault. Or, use it as an alternative choice to excuse me, particularly in circumstances once you need to interrupt or get somebody’s consideration.
- Perdón, ¿puedo pedir prestado su cargador? = Excuse me, can I borrow your charger?
- Perdón, ¿puede hablar un poco más despacio? = Pardon me, are you able to communicate slightly slower?
- Perdón, me perdí el turno. = Sorry, I missed the flip.
>>New to Spanish? Discover ways to begin the dialog with 10 methods to say whats up.
Easy methods to give a extra heartfelt apology in Spanish
You won’t all the time damage the individuals you’re keen on, however it occurs—even to these with the very best intentions. When you end up at fault, listed below are the phrases you’ll be able to lean on to clean issues over with the individuals you care about in any setting.
3. me arrepiento…
Which means: I remorse…
Context: Say it like it’s. The deed is completed, however you want it had by no means occurred.
- Me arrepiento de cómo actué. = I remorse how I acted.
- Me arrepiento de ir a la fiesta en lugar de estudiar = I remorse going to the celebration as a substitute of learning.
4. te pido/le pido disculpas de corazón
Which means: I sincerely apologize; I apologize from the guts
Context: Te pido disculpas (casual) or Le pido disculpas (formal) can be utilized to apologize or say sorry. Including de corazón is for extra dire conditions when you really want to emphasise your regret.
- Te pido disculpas de corazón por cómo te traté. = I sincerely apologize for the way I handled you.
- Te pido disculpas de corazón por llegar tan tarde. = I sincerely apologize for being so late.
5. no te imaginas/se imagina cuánto lo siento
Which means: You possibly can’t think about how sorry I’m
Context: Pull this one out when you want to apologize large enough to match the ache of the state of affairs.
- No te imaginas cuánto siento haber olvidado presentar nuestros impuestos. = You possibly can’t think about how sorry I’m that I forgot to file our taxes.
- No te imaginas cuánto siento haber dejado la ventana abierta durante la tormenta. = You possibly can’t think about how sorry I’m that I left the window open in the course of the storm.
Which means: Forgive me
Context: This one may look acquainted, however including me to the tip of perdón modifications the that means considerably—transitioning from comparatively informal to fairly critical. If you happen to’d reasonably phrase forgiveness as a query, you’ll be able to say ¿Me perdonas? (Would you forgive me?).
- Por favor, perdóname. No fue mi intención ser tan grosero. = Please, forgive me. It wasn’t my intention to be so impolite.
- Perdóname por dar por sentada tu bondad. = Forgive me for taking your kindness with no consideration.
Easy methods to say “excuse me” in Spanish
It’s widespread to make use of sorry and excuse me interchangeably in English. The identical applies in Spanish. There are, nonetheless, some cases during which a easy excuse me is extra applicable and extra well mannered.
Which means: Sorry; excuse me
Context: Disculpa can be utilized as each a noun (that means “apology”) and an interjection. When used as an interjection, it’s used like perdón, although it’s barely extra elevated. Its extra formal counterpart, disculpe, is used when addressing individuals like a consumer, boss, or professor.
- Disculpa, ¿sabes dónde puedo encontrar la biblioteca? = Excuse me, have you learnt the place I can discover the library?
- Disculpe que lo interrumpa, Sr. Pérez. ¿Tiene un momento? = Sorry to interrupt, Mr. Perez. Do you’ve gotten a second?
8. con permiso
Which means: Excuse me
Context: With this model of excuse me, no apology is implied. Con permiso is a superb phrase to have in your toolbox—particularly when you’re touring—to make sure politeness as you navigate crowded streets.
- Con permiso, ¿me dejas pasar? = Excuse me, may you let me by?
- Con permiso, ¿puedo conseguir mi maleta? = Excuse me, can I get my suitcase?
Which means: Let me; permit me
Context: Once you’d wish to be further well mannered whereas serving to a good friend, you should use permíteme. In a extra formal setting, permítame is becoming.
- Permíteme explicarles primero, y luego puedes hacer preguntas. = Permit me to clarify first, after which you’ll be able to ask questions.
- Permítame abrirle la puerta, señora. = Permit me to open the door for you, ma’am.
Easy methods to give your condolences in Spanish
When a good friend or acquaintance goes by means of a tough time, an apology may also help to acknowledge their hardship and open the dialog.
10. Lo siento mucho
Which means: I’m actually sorry
Context: If all else fails, tack mucho (very) onto lo siento to precise your concern to family members or shut associates.
- Lo siento mucho su pérdida. = I’m actually sorry to your loss.
- Por favor, dígales que lo siento mucho y que me encantaría ayudar. = Please inform them I’m actually sorry and I might love to assist.
11. Lo lamento
Which means: I’m very sorry
Context: That is the extra formal model of lo siento mucho. Lo lamento is a phrase you should use to pay your respects to the household of somebody who has just lately handed.
- Lo lamento la pérdida de tu esposa. = I’m very sorry for the lack of your spouse.
12. Mi sentido pésame. = My heartfelt condolences.
13. Te acompaño en este momento de dolor. = I’m with you on this second of grief.
14. Puedes contar conmigo para lo que necesites. = You possibly can depend on me for no matter you want.
15. Llámame si necesitas algo. = Name me when you want something.
Easy methods to settle for an apology in Spanish
What occurs if you end up on the receiving finish of an apology? If it’s a mutual misunderstanding, your preliminary apology may very nicely result in a honest present of regret from the opposite celebration. A easy gracias (thanks) is a worthy response to any apology, however you may need to impress a bit extra nuance in your response.
16. Está bien. = It’s okay.
17. No hay problema. = It’s not an issue.
18. Te perdono. / Lo/la perdono. = I forgive you.
19. Acepto tu/su disculpa. = I settle for your apology.
20. No te preocupes. / No se preocupe. = Don’t fear/no worries.
>>Finish any dialog on the precise foot with 20 methods to say goodbye in Spanish.
Grasp greetings, apologies, and extra with Rosetta Stone
A well-worded apology can go a great distance in any language, however “sorry” can solely get you up to now. How have you learnt when you’re dialog prepared?
Rosetta Stone may also help you’re taking your studying past vocabulary lists. Utilizing real-world pictures and eventualities, Rosetta Stone’s bite-sized classes aid you study immersively, so that you study quicker and retain extra.
Plus, Rosetta Stone’s TruAccent characteristic may also help you nail your pronunciation from the very first lesson.
Study Spanish the precise approach and begin your first lesson right this moment at www.rosettastone.com!